R. Holmes and Mark Roberts
Neo-Calvinists say: "Men are saved by His good works. Jesus is our substitute. We are accounted righteous because Jesus is righteous. The righteousness of Christ clothes the believer with the righteousness the law demands. Man is too corrupt he can never be righteous on his own."
B. Passages misused:
1. Galatians 2:17
2. Romans 4:5-10; 5:1
3. Hebrews 7:22
4. Isaiah 64:6
Righteousness used in different ways
1. An attribute of God - Romans 3:5
B. What does "imputed righteousness" mean?
2. Salvation, justification - Romans 4:1-8; 10:1-10
a) Words - just, justify, justification, right, righteous, righteousness are all from the same Greek word
3. What God declares right - Psalm119:172; Hebrews 5:13
4. Righteousness is what a man does when he obeys God:
a) Acts 10:34-35
b) Matthew 5:20
c) Romans 6:13-16
d) 1 John 3:17
1. Means to be forgiven, saved, justified
2. That's all nothing more!
3. No passage teaches Jesus' righteousness is given to you, or that your righteousness can be given to anyone else!